HOME     ABOUT ME

Thursday, August 15, 2013

An Afternoon with Vintage Bowles

While taking advantage of this all this free time I've acquired after graduating, I've been trying to catch up with the half read Elle magazines I've accumulated and collections from past seasons that I've had yet to see. On my spare time I also like to watch a lot of YouTube videos about fashion. It just so happened that while perusing Vogue's channel, I saw a section titled "Vintage Bowles". The title was "Shopping one of the most famous flea markets in Paris" so obviously, being the thrifter that I am, I had to watch it. 

Here's a snippet of what the series is about: "International Editor at Large Hamish Bowles is a vintage shopping genius. Deeply knowledgeable, a gifted curator, and blessed with a healthy dose of preternatural good luck, Hamish holds all the secrets to where and how to find the most lovely and elusive vintage items."

The video I watched followed Bowles to the Paris flea markets where you get to see the stores he frequents for vintage couture. What fascinates me is not only getting to see where he finds the couture, but also the vast amount of knowledge Bowles has. He carries a lot of information about designers, past collections, and generally a lot of history about fashion, which aids him in identifying pieces of worth. This inspires me to research and become more familiar in fashion history, which, I did take a course in college and loved! It just goes to show you that can't stop learning. Invest a good 20 minutes to watch the videos Vogue has up, it's a good perspective of what a fashion curator does. 





All images from online sources - Vintage Paul Poiret and Versace

No comments:

Post a Comment